Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Do you need a bodyguard?

You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!  Ps. 139:5-6
Only the rich and famous have body guards. Right? Wrong. According to Psalm 139 I have a body guard too. At least it sounds that way to me - "you go before me and follow me". I know that the writer is talking about the fact that God is everywhere at the same time, but this wording, well, it sounds like a bodyguard. Life is full of danger - disease, accidents, enemies. Sometimes my enemies are within - memories and regrets that haunt and hunt me. I need protection. I think I'm tough, but I'm not. I imagine I'm a badass like Manny Pacquiao, but the truth is - I'm over the hill, and even in my best days, I'm no match for what this life can throw at me. I need protection. I need you Lord, to go before and follow me. Thank you for surrounding me with your presence.

Presence - not protection. Have I reduced God to a bodyguard? Lord, you offer me your presence and I want to settle for your protection. What's wrong with me? You go before me and follow me. I can experience your presence, your companionship, your comfort, your love, your leading - I don't want a bodyguard, sunglasses and earpiece, silently watching for danger. I want to experience your presence today.

"You place your hand of blessing on my head". Last week I read the story where Jacob blessed Joseph's two sons, but he switched his hands so that the younger child got the better blessing. Jacob's right hand rested on the head of the younger child. Joseph tried to correct his father, but Jacob told him "No, this is the way it is - the younger will be greater than the elder". Lord, after all I've done I usually think "Just to be in your presence will be enough. I don't expect any rewards or crowns in heaven. I just want to be there with you. It is mind blowing, numbing - to think that your right hand of blessing rests on my head. How can it be?

No comments :

Post a Comment